Carolyn Pearce Home Sweet Home workbox 17: assembling the scissor keeper

I’ve finished embroidering the scissor keeper from Carolyn Pearce’s book ‘Home Sweet Home Workbox‘, and now I’m assembling it. Carolyn’s instructions are very clear for this item.

I cut a piece of thin wadding to back the embroidery with, and a piece of stiff interlining, both 6cm x 3cm. The two pence piece is to use as a weight inside the scissor keeper. I pressed the seam allowances over the piece of interlining, including the corners, to make it easier to get a nice tight finish.

Scissor 6

I folded in the corners and slip stitched them together. Notice that I didn’t stitch right up to the corner point – otherwise I’d pull the piece out of shape.

Scissor 7

Here are all four corners mitred. I also slip stitched the straight sides to the interlining, but I didn’t photograph that.

Scissor 8

I made a fine cord from 30 inches of 10 strand silk, doubled to be 15 inches long, and then twisted up, and folded back on itself so that I had a finished cord around 7 inches long. Then I knotted the ends together to make a loop about three inches long, and stitched it together through the ends to make it secure, then attached it to the scissor keeper in the centre of one side (making sure that that was the top edge!).

Scissor 9

I threaded some beads onto quilting thread, doubling it back around the end bead, then attached the  length of beads to the bottom edge of the scissor keeper.

Scissor 10

I slip stitched around the three open sides with beige sewing thread, pushing the coin in as I started to stitch along the final side. Finally, I worked Knotted pearl stitch around the edge.

Scissor 11

Here is the finished scissor keeper. It’s come out really neat, and I can see me using this before the rest of the project is finished 🙂

Scissor 12


Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation


Carolyn Pearce Home Sweet Home workbox 16: embroidering the scissor keeper

The next item I’ve decided to make from the Carolyn Pearce ‘Home Sweet Home Workbox’ book is the scissor keeper. The pattern in the book has a strawberry flower on the front, and an initial on the back. I’ve decided to stitch a group of 3 anemones instead of the initial, as my initial is J. In fancy fonts like the one Carolyn suggests, the letter J often ends up looking like an I, or an F, or even a T. So, I’m having flowers instead!

Scissor 1

Here are the three anemones stitched (using raised cross stitch), and the strawberry flower started. I outlined the flower in split stitch, and then worked two layers of satin stitch padding before working the top layer of long and short stitch for the petals.

Scissor 2

These are the petals, once complete.

Scissor 3

Here are the anemones once they have had their middles stitched in a French knot with one strand of Anchor cotton. The strawberry flower has straight stitch highlights in pale green, and leaves in fishbone stitch. Three French knots finish off the flower in the centre.

Scissor 4

Each panel is outlined with tiny chain stitches. Carolyn suggested whipping the chain stitch with gold thread, but I liked the look of the chain stitch as it was, so I left it without the gold highlights.

Scissor 5

Now it just needs assembing.


Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation



My new sewing pouch – 2

Now that I have finished the demi cross stitch kit for a lingerie bag from Les Brodeuses Parisiennes (which I am actually going to use as a sewing pouch), I have decided to make a scissor keeper and needle book to match.

Parisiennes 05

The bag instructions didn’t suggest any way to keep the bag closed, so I decided to stitch three press studs along the top edge – just enough to hold the bag closed without it being too heavy a closure. Then I made a fine twisted cord from two shades of thread left over from the embroidery, and made two short loops. I plan to attach the scissor keeper and needle book to these loops with longer loops stitched to their sides, to hold them in place inside the bag.

Parisiennes 06

I made a pattern for the scissor keeper from paper, and tacked around it onto a piece of 28 count linen to transfer the shape.

Parisiennes 07

I didn’t have a piece of linen exactly the same shade of cream as the flap of the sewing pouch, but it’s near enough.

Parisiennes 08

I used a piece of the design from the centre of the sewing pouch as the motif on the scissor keeper front.

Parisiennes 09

I found a pretty piece of printed cotton in my stash of doll’s house dress fabrics, which is about 15 years old, and has always been ‘too pretty to use’, up to now! It was ideal for the lining of the scissor keeper. I put the two fabrics right sides together and back stitched along the seam line, leaving a small gap along one of the straight sides for turning through. Then I made another piece of twisted cord, and attached it around the edge of the keeper, leaving a long loop on one side so that I could loop that piece through the other loop on the sewing pouch to keep the scissor keeper secure inside the bag.

Parisiennes 10

The closure is a green aventurine 8mm bead.

Now I need to make the needle book!


Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation