Although this has been a most peculiar year for everyone, here we are, at Christmas once again, and we’ve managed to get through it all! I don’t know about you, but I have found my stitching to be a great help through all the unsettling times during this last few months. It’s just really relaxing to be able to do some stitching every day, when everything else is going crazy!
Thank you to all of you who have been following my blog during the year – I do love writing it, and of course doing all the stitching 🙂
Have a great Christmas, however you celebrate it.
I’m ready to make up these three little gingerbread mice figures from Just Nan now- Santa mouse, Jingle mouse and Angel mouse.
These are the three stitched designs, cut out with a half inch seam allowance around each one.
The side seam is stitched up, and then the seam allowance around the base is turned under.
The body is stuffed with some wadding, and then gathered around the base to close it up. The metal button is then slip-stitched onto the base to weight it and provide a stable area so that the mouse stands up. You put the curved metal ‘tail’ into position just before completing the slip-stitching of the button into place.
Here is the first completed mouse, Santa mouse, with his little hat on, and bag of goodies. Isn’t he lovely?
This is what he looks like from the back.
And here’s all three of them completed. They each stand about two inches high – they are tiny!
This is what I made them for – to ‘populate’ my gingerbread village of Victoria Sampler buildings:
Aren’t they sweet?
I came across the materials & chart packs for these cute little gingerbread mice figures from Just Nan recently – Santa mouse, Jingle mouse and Angel mouse. They are so sweet, and very unusual!
I thought they’d look good with the Victoria Sampler buildings that I have previously stitched, and which I display under my tree at Christmas.
I bought the charts from Create Nostalgia, an online shop in Flintshire, for £12.95 for each chart, which included the accessories needed, but no fabric or threads. I chose some fabric from Peakside Needleworks.co.uk of Glossop – a small piece of 32 count Weeks Dye Works “Straw” colour fabric 1/16 size of a metre, 9 inch x 13.5 inch, which cost £5, and was enough to make all three mice (they are very small!). The threads I picked from my stash – only small amounts were needed of each colour, so it was easy.
Here’s the Jingle Mouse chart pack, and the little bag of accessories (the curly thing is to make the tail, and the button is to weight the base).
The fabric is a lovely deep gingerbread colour – ever so slightly mottled.
The actual shape of the mouse is weird – but it gets made up into a sort of cone shape, so the pattern will make sense later, hopefully!
Here’s all three mice stitched and ready to assemble.
Let’s hope they are easy to put together!
Assembling the thread winder pocket wasn’t as traumatic as I’d thought – the backstitching around the edge of each piece just needed to be laced together, so as long as each side was lined up carefully, the actual lacing together was simple. A cardboard stiffener is included in the kit, to put inside the larger square end of the winder pocket, to give it substance.
It’s a beautiful little ’embroidered small’ to add to my collection. A very pretty item from Just Nan – the first I’d made from their range.
The butterfly winder fits neatly inside the pocket.
This is the reverse of the winder pocket, showing the tiny white beads.
The press studs are sewn on last, to hold the small flap in place against the larger piece.
My ‘quick project’ finished!