Here’s my progress on the Gingerbread Village Candy Cane Cottage, designed by Thea Dueck from Victoria Sampler. The ground floor hardanger windows that I stitched last time have now been completed with the addition of the Dove’s Eye stitch in the top third of each window. They took a bit of practice, and grew progessively neater as I got used to doing the stitch!
This project uses lots of beads – far more than on the Gingerbread Stitching House, which I made last year. They are pearly white ones, and metallic red ones, size 11, I think. They really make the little house look very Christmassy.
The project pack that I bought along with the chart from Sew and So also included these lovely sequins, the star button, and other shades of seed beads for the decorations on the tree.
The windows will eventually be backed with coloured cotton fabric, to indicate light shining from within the house, but I will do that for all four sides, just before the final assembly of the building.
I have set myself the rather long-term project of making the Gingerbread Village series of cross stitch buildings, designed by Thea Dueck of Victoria Sampler in Canada! These are lovely little 3D projects to make – some are ‘usable’ items, such as the Gingerbread Stitching House workbox, which I made last year, and some are ‘just’ little models (but still really sweet anyway!). If you are tempted to stitch along with me, and live in the UK, then buy the charts (and project packs, if you like to) from Sew and So, rather than direct from Victoria Sampler, as the shipping is prohibitive from Canada to the UK.
I am making the Candy Cane Cottage at the moment – here is the first ‘end’ of the house. Most of the design is cross stitch, with some hardanger for the windows, and lots of little seed beads as embellishment.
It can seem quite scary when you come to cut the threads to start doing the hardanger, but the instructions in the chart booklet are very clear – you just need to go slowly, and use very sharp scissors.
The outer satin stitches are done first (as in the large left-hand window), to define the area, then the unwanted threads are cut away as in the right-hand window (that’s the scary bit!), then the remaining threads are wrapped the make the ‘bars’ of the windows, as in the top window.
This should be quite a quick project – I want this finished in time to be displayed under my Christmas tree!