Five-sided box 8: Pea and English daisy

I was looking forward to stitching this panel the most, out of all the motifs in the Flowers for Elizabeth book by Susan O’Connor, which I’m using as a basis for the motifs for this five-sided box.  I love stitching peas – almost as much as I like stitching strawberries!

This is the panel, after outlining the main areas:

5 box 29

The pea pods are padded with long satin stitches worked vertically, before the top layer of satin stitches are worked horizontally. The centre pea pod has ‘peas’ stitched on the pea area, which are supposed to give the impression of ‘pea bumps’ in the pods when they are finished, but I don’t think I padded mine enough, so they hardly show.

5 box 30

The daisies, however, came out really well. I first worked one complete round of lazy daisy stitches, using one strand of Anchor in pale pink. Then I did two more rounds, using off-white thread, so that the effect was one of white petals with just a hint of pink on them. The centres of the daisies are French knots in a sunny yellow.  Perfect!

5 box 31

I used a slightly variegated pink  silk thread for the daisy petals, for interest.

5 box 32

From this angle, you can see the padded pea pods, leaves, and layers of daisy petals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation

 

Five-sided box 7: cornflower and strawberry motif

To finish off the Cornflower and Strawberry panel of my five-sided box, I just needed to stitch the strawberry flowers in the bottom right hand corner. The petals were outlined in split back stitch and filled with satin stitch padding, and then a top layer of satin stitchworked on top. Tiny yellow French knots filled the centre, and single lazy daisy stitches worked in dark green completed the flowers.

5 box 25

The leaves were stitched in straight stitches, with a line of stem stitch along the central vein.

5 box 26

This is how this panel looks, now that it is finished:

5 box 27

I’ve tried to show the effect of the satin stitch padding, and how much difference it makes to this design, by taking this sideways-on picture:

5 box 28

As I finish each panel, I keep thinking ‘I like this one best’….until I start the next one  🙂

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation

 

Five-sided box 6: cornflower and strawberry motif

These cornflowers on the next panel of my five sided box were fun to do, and very quick. Only the rough outline of each flower needed to be drawn on the fabric. Then, fly stitches were placed individually all over the shape to be filled, in two close shades of a purply blue.

5 box 22

I still had to leave small bare areas between the petals on the full-face flower, to define it properly, which was a bit tricky. The bud was simple to do – just a few straight stitches.

5 box 23

To finish off each flower, I added a few straight stitches in deep navy and maroon, to give the effect of stamens. The sepals were more trellis stitch areas, and the leaves were done in rows of split back stitch.

5 box 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation

 

 

Five-sided box 5: cornflower and strawberry motif

I love making strawberries! I never get tired of stitching them. There are four altogether in the Cornflower and Strawberry motif from the ‘Embroidered Flowers for Elizabeth’  book by Susan O’Connor (where I got the original design from). As with the leaves and petals on several of the other motifs, these strawberries need padding first with a satin stitch across the shape, and then satin stitch worked from the top to the bottom of each fruit, having first worked an outline of split back stitch to define the shape. This first picture shows the padding done for three of the strawberries, and one of the berries completely finished, with the leaves worked in lazy daisies. The small green berry is supposed to be an unripe one.

5 box 20

This shows the trellis stitch worked on all four berries, and the leaves added as well.  I wasn’t too pleased with how the trellis came out for the top berry. This happened because I didn’t bother to turn my hoop around to work the berry ‘the right way up’ – so my spacing of the trellis lines went rather peculiar.

5 box 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation