I’ve reached the part of this ‘Flowers for Elizabeth’ embroidered sweet bag from Issue 51 of Inspirations magazine where I am about to start stitching the honeysuckle and forget-me-not flowers in the bottom left hand corner of the front panel.
When I traced the original design onto my fabric, I was aware that the honeysuckle flower and part-flower were ‘detailed’ (to put it politely), but when I came to actually stitch them, I realised that the design was actually more like an Escher drawing – it was really an impossibility to stitch the flowers to make them look real, as some of the lines were missing, and extra ones had been added that made no sense. And by then, I’d traced them onto my fabric as shown on the design sheet, so I had to make the best of it!
I kind of simplified the petals as I stitched them, but it was a pain, and I didn’t enjoy this part of the embroidery. I know honeysuckle flowers are rather ‘random’, messy flowers, but I wasn’t sure that this was captured successfully in the rendition of these.
The next part was the forget-me-nots alongside them. I was pleased with how the smaller buds came out (made from French Knots with two strands of Au Ver a Soie silk thread). But the larger ‘full on’ flowers I think I made too spaced out, so they have ended up looking a bit spindly. They are stitched by making five Granitos Stitches in a star shape first, then adding Straight Stitches in between, and then one small French Knot to each centre.
So, not as successful as the pansy or strawberry flowers, but it’s coming on – that’s all the flowers stitched now. Next up are the leaves.