Have a look at this fun article….

Recently, I was contacted by the assistant editor of The Doll’s House Magzine, Karen Bamford. She wanted to feature me on the new website that the Guild of Master Craftsmen is launching – it’s called the Crafts Institute, and covers all kinds of crafts – not just miniatures. You can read about what I replied to her ’10 Minutes with….’ questions here.

The Home page of the Crafts Institute website

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation

 

Celtic Autumn by Lavender and Lace in alternative colours – 3

After thirty hours of stitching, my Celtic Autumn by Lavender and Lace looks like this:

My Celtic Autumn cross stitch picture, after 30 hours of stitching

This is what it looked like after twenty hours:

I’d been away from home last weekend, and really missed being able to put a few stitches in each evening. I can’t take this one with me when I’m not at home, as it’s large, and is attached to a 12 inch x 24 inch rotating frame, which I rest on my floor frame. I really must get a second project on the go, that is portable!!

The falling leaves adaptation to the Celtic Autumn chart

The leaves that are falling from the lady’s hands are an adaptation of the original chart. I saw them shown first on the Celtic Lady StitchA Long blog. I’ve now tracked down the chart for them, which was created by someone called Crystal (see her Webshots album here), but given to me by Nathalie (who created the beautiful Celtic Winter adaptation with a hood, in blue – see her website here). Are you still with me? Anyway, the leaves chart was hand drawn, and sent to me as a Word file, and it was quite small, so I had a bit of trouble working from it. Also, as the leaves are themselves small with a lot of detailed leaf indentations, it meant stitching them over one thread of the 28 count fabric with one strand instead of two, so I had to dig out my magnifer. Stitching the leaves took about three hours, but I’m very pleased with how they turned out. The original chart just had a spray of beads down the front and the back of the lady, but I don’t think that’s very ‘autumnal’. This variation, on the other hand, is great.

The other part I liked doing was the two border patterns. When it gets a bit repetitive to do the ‘filling in’ on the body of the lady, it makes a nice change to work on the borders.

I’ve started on the skirt, now – so far, I’m just filling in the edges of each area of colour, to define them a bit better.

And I’m still tempted to add a few beads, just to see how they’ll look….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dollhouse Needlepoint newsletter sign-up invitation