‘Mrs Waddelow’s Huswif’, from With my Needle – 2

This project has stitched up so quickly, it’s hardly taken any time at all! It’s probably got a lot to do with the fact that it only uses one shade of space-dyed thread for the whole design (I chose to use the Thread Gatherer Silk ‘n Colors shade  ‘In the burgundy’). Even then, the whole design only needs one full skein to stitch both  the huswif and the tiny needlebook to go inside it.

The completed stitching looked like this:

The completed embroidery, straight off the frame, before assembling it

Then comes my not-so-favourite part….assembling it. I always get to this stage with a project, and want to rush on to the next thing, so there’s a risk that the making up might be scruffy, because I’m rushing. But I wanted this to come out really neatly, so I tried not to look at the Celtic Autumn chart, fabric and threads waiting in the wings…

The binding pinned in place

Each pocket of the huswif is made from a different small print cotton fabric (bought as a fat quarter bundle from Ebay), stitched all together into one long strip, and then folded until it’s about the length of the embroidered piece. The bottom pocket of the huswif is gathered along both long edges first, and trimmed with a bow made from 2mm braid. I had to tweak the dimensions slightly on my huswif, as I’d chosen to use a 32 count fabric rather than the suggested 36 count, so mine came out slightly bigger, but that was simple to do – I just had to widen the curved-top template a little, and allow a bit more fabric for the pockets and interlining. Then I made a ‘sandwich’ of embroidered fabric, lining, and cotton print section, before pinning the binding around the edge, and stitching it into position (this is the only part that I did by machine), and then the binding is folded over and slipstitched into place on the embroidered side. This part sounds complicated, but the instructions are really clear.

The little needlebook is made in the same way as the huswif (except that the cross stitch is done over one instead of over two). I used a piece of sunny yellow wool fabric from Weeks Dye Works for the pages in the needlebook.  A button from my enormous button stash is attached to the centre of the huswif last, and a buttonhole stitch thread loop made to keep the huswif closed when it is rolled up.

I’m really pleased with how this has come out. Have a look at the With My Needle website and blog for this chart pack (shown in many colourways on the blog, in photos sent in by customers), and others in the range.

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “‘Mrs Waddelow’s Huswif’, from With my Needle – 2

    1. Janet Granger Post author

      Yes, I have been doing complicated designs for months, so it was nice to do this one. The gingham fabric has been in my dressmaking stash for over five years. I had been planning to make a sleeveless summer top with it, but never got around to it.

      Reply
    1. Janet Granger Post author

      I was very pleased with the little needlebook, too. It’s just the right size to use as a ‘one project’ needlebook, rather than trying to keep all your needles in it!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s